Thursday, August 29, 2013

Day 2

Oh la la, qu'ai-je me mettre en? what did I get myself into... (I may throw in some French words, but I can't promise they are used correctly, grammatically or otherwise, or spelled correctly, though I am using references to double check at times).

Well, the regret of not studying French before coming is definitly setting in. I am now living with Nicole (spent the night here last night) and though she is very nice and patient and trying to help and explain things to me, I feel so inadequate. We can communicate decently well. She is purposefully speaking mostly French, but she will translate sometimes. I know that this is good and that it will help me learn better and faster, but it's very intimidating. I just have to remember to take a deep breath, focus and absorb as much as possible. It's quite tiring, though, and I find that I often want to take a nap when I use/listen/try to communicate in French. Peut-être (possibly) this is also because of the time change, but I've found that I've adjusted pretty well, as long as I don't have to get up really early. I do need to start getting up earlier, though, so I can get up in time for school.

Deep Breath

Myriam brought me over to Nicole's à sept heures quinze (at about 7:15 last evening). She helped me bring my things in (Elle m'aide donner dans mes choses), expained the alarm system, and explained what my gifts for Nicole were (Wind chimes from the Dayton Farmer's market, homemade jam, and pepper with lavander and a recipie to use with lavander from the White Oak Lavander Farm - for those who are interested). She left after that (I won't see her again till Samedi après-midi  - Saturday afternoon- but I can call her if I need to) and I started unpacking my things (mes choses). À huit heures nous avons mangé (at 8 we ate) and we talked, or at least tried to. It was nearly 10:30 (dix heures trente) by the time we finished and I went downstairs. I believe she went to bed. I continued to unpack and organize, then called ma famille et mes grandparents (both sides). I went to bed soon after.


Today I was a hot mess when I woke up. Anxiety ablaze, I showered and dressed, putting off going upstairs as long as possible. I finally went up at 11:30, ate some breakfast and then went back downstairs to continue to organize my things (it sounds like I've spent alot of time doing this, but in reality, I've only had short moments to unpack, so it's not taking quite as long as it sounds). À treize heures (1 pm) we ate déjeuner (lunch), then we sat on her back porch with some café et chocolat. Après, nous avon lire (after, we read). She has some books that have English on one page and the French translation on the other that she is letting me use. It's difficult to understand the French, but I am picking up some things. I read the French first, then the English, and then the French again. C'est très fatigant (It is very tiring).

Well, it's seven and I think we are going to be eating soon, so until I am able to get on the internet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment