Saturday, August 31, 2013

Day 4

Bonjour,

Yes, I know I skipped day 3, but it really wasn't eventful and I thought it would not be very interesting...

Anywho, yesterday was similar to Thursday, so if you really want to know what I did, read the post for day 2 ;)  Last night, though, I saw that Nicole has some books in French that I have read in English, so I'm trying to read them. I don't know what alot of word mean, but because I know the storyline and I'm reading slowly, I can figure out what is going on in the story (for the most part). Granted, I've only gotten to page 20 or so...

Today was a bit different. I got up at 8 in the morning so that I could go to Market with Nicole. That was pretty interesting. I've been to markets like it in the US, but it's not quite the same. The meat selection, for one thing, is quite amazing. Liver, cow tongue, skinned and gutted (but the liver or something was left in) rabbits with their heads still attached and eyes still in, and much much more. Then there was the typical stuff - vegetables, fruits, bread (though, again much more bread than I have typically seen in the states). It's the kind of market that has been around for years and years and is a very cultural thing in France, but in America it's just starting to come in (perhaps 'back in'). Anywho, it was quite interesting. Nicole is very conscious of the use of pesticides and other chemical sprays, so she buys what is called 'bio' fruits and vegetables. From what I can tell, it would be the same as organic in the States.

After market, we went for a walk, then heated up some leftovers for lunch. After lunch we relaxed on her back porch (I dozed for about an hour) then Mimi came to get me to go to her place for the night. Since I'll be riding the bus to school, we decided to find the bus stop I would walk to, wait for the bus, and then drive behind it to the transfer, wait for that bus and drive behind that one to the school. It's about half an hour total - pas mal (not bad).


Mimi and Edgard had some friends over for dinner, so I got to meet them. They were all very nice and even though I couldn't understand most of what was going on, it was very interesting to listen and watch. One thing is for sure, I have eaten very well since coming and in some ways I've been eating too much. I don't know if it's from the difference in food and cooking, that I'm eating so much, that I'm uptight, or a combination of all three, but I rarely feel hungry and my stomach has been a bit unsettled. Oh well...

Well, I'm going to watch White Collar ( in French) now, so until later...

2 comments: