Saturday, May 17, 2014

Strep throat??? Really?!!

As I stated, I had an ear test on Friday. It went as expected - good sign it's not worse and it indicated that the cholesteatoma has not affected my inner ear yet. On Saturday I went to Jill and Patrick's and got to see Annina and Anna again!!! Annina was visiting for the weekend, so we did some shopping on Saturday (it was raining, so we scrapped some of out other ideas) and went to Hillsong for church on Sunday. After that we walked around the Latin Quarter for a bit, but it was getting late and we were getting tired, so we headed back. Plus, it was raining off and on all day - 10 to 20 minutes of pouring rain and then an hour of bright sun, then the rain again - interesting weather.

On Sunday I woke up with a sore throat but thought it would pass. It didn't. It just got worse and Monday I was starting to get worried. Monday evening I saw white spots... and I had been running a fever. Crap daggers. Probably strep throat, right? Never had it before in my life and I get it in France. So, Tuesday morning I called the doctor (on my own, in French) and went to the doctor's (on my own, in French) and got some antibiotics and steroids. I was feeling pretty awful on Tuesday - I would hold my spit in my mouth as long as possible before swallowing (sometimes opting to just spit it out) because every time I swallowed, my whole body would clench up from the pain. The my throat was beet red, I had white spots going down the back, the skin around my eyes was red, the back of my eyes itched, my ears hurt, my neck was warm to the touch and tender - I could even turn my head without it hurting. But, my lymph nodes weren't swollen. Interesting. The doctor decided I had strep without running any tests (for which I was grateful because I just wanted meds and didn't want to have to go to a lab to get the test done and go back for the results later). I was in pretty bad shape - talking was nearly out of the question (and really was if I had a choice). The doctor's office was literally the building next to Jill and Patrick's and the pharmacy was the next one and just the little walking that took (and waiting in the doctor's office) I was wiped. Just over an hour of activity and I took over a 4 hour nap. I had intended to go back up to Blanc that day, but that didn't happen. In fact, Jill asked me what I was planning to do and when I said I didn't think I could make it back up she said, "Good, I was going to say if you have to go back up, ok, but if not I wouldn't let you leave because you look absolutely miserable." And then she made me jello :) Thanks Jill!!!

But...

The next day was a whole other story. I felt much better, not normal, still sore, icky, etc. but I was able to take public transport to Mimi so she could take me to the surgeon to give him my hearing results. And that didn't wipe me out - I was tired, but not wiped. He checked me out too, and thought that it might not be strep since my lymph nodes weren't swollen, but I've noticed over the past many years that they don't really swell. So, perhaps I've only had viral infections for the past 10 or so years. Or, perhaps the bacterial infections haven't been too serious. Or, maybe my lymph nodes don't function correctly... Who knows, all I care about is the fact that today I feel nearly back to normal. Which is good, since Michelle is here and we start our grand adventure tomorrow. Italy, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment