Friday, November 29, 2013

Sigh... well, I guess I was bound to get sick sometime...

Hello all,

Not much in the way of exciting news for this week and last, so it will be a short post. As you know, last Monday I ended up not having class, which  was both nice and weird. Tuesday we had class again, but Cecile (a director) taught the morning part instead of Regine. We had Carolina for the afternoon as per usual. That evening, I had dinner at the Wheatons, with those who go every Tuesday for a prayer and share time. Things seemed to be going well, but at the end of the evening I noticed that my throat seemed a bit irritated. I didn't think much of it at first, but it kept getting worse and worse as the evening went on. I tried drinking some lemon tea with vinegar in it before going to bed, but it didn't seem to help much (then again, it may have been worse had I not drunk that...). Wednesday morning I had class again (to make up for Monday) and then did my homework and took a shower before heading to Mimi's. I had debated all morning if I should go or not, because I now knew I was definitely sick. Well, I went and I'm glad I did. She gave me some meds for my throat and I just relaxed at her place...took a 2, 2.5 hour nap...des choses comme ça.
The next two days were pretty normal. Classes, test Friday, chugging lemon tea with vinegar, taking maxilase (what Mimi gave me... made a huge difference when I took it and when I didn't). Saturday I spent most of the day relaxing - didn't feel up to much. Pretty much the same on Sunday. But there was a change in the evening. Can you guess?
If you said my throat was better you are half correct. My throat seemed to be mostly better, but then I started having some pain in my right ear (Blehhh!!!). And I could hear/feel liquid behind my eardrum. Now, for those who don't know my ear history, I'm going to give a brief rundown...

-Pretty much came out of the womb with ear infections.

-Had three sets of tubes by the time I was 5.

-Had my tonsils removed when I was 5. Chronic ear infections stopped and had very few in general after that.

-Had a lasting hole in my right ear drum from the last set of tubes. The doctor wanted to wait till I was done growing to patch the whole because there was a possibility it would tear (with the patch being a different type of tissue, it would not be as flexible) and I would have to have the surgery again.

-Had to use ear plugs and such in the water pretty much all of my childhood.

-Scheduled the surgery to patch my ear when I was in eight grade (so 13 or 14 years old). Went in for the surgery. Because the hole was not in the center of my ear, the doctor had to cut behind my ear and flip it over. Ended up being a good thing because he then discovered that I had cholesteatoma (basically my eardrum had tried to heal itself but the skin cells fell back onto my mastoid bone and started to grow, digging deeper and deeper), so he drilled that out and filled in the bone with some type of bone filler. Because there was a chance that that could happen again if he left my natural eardrum in, he removed the whole thing and gave me a completely new one (with my own skin tissue taken from the incision made to flip my ear over) and viola! Here I am today without perfect hearing, but as close to perfect I have had and probably will ever have.

Anywho, I haven't had an ear infection in about 5 years, so this is pretty annoying. Monday I went to class in the morning, but skipped the afternoon and slept. Tuesday I completely skipped class and went to a doctor for antibiotics. Oh, and slept some more. Wednesday we celebrated Thanksgiving at the school, so I slept in till 10, got ready and went down to help decorate (a few pictures below, but I didn't get many). We started eating a bit after one and by 2:45 I was done (I had debated about going up to my room before then, but held out till I was done eating. After all, when am I going to get such large a selection of good food again?). I called home, and then was asleep by 3:15. Didn't wake up till after 6. Thursday I skipped classes again, but I was less tired, so took that as a good sign. Today, I did go to class, but slept during lunch. For the most part I haven't had much pain other than the first night, but I've had drainage and my ear is very congested. I actually can't hear very well, so class was a bit interesting - took a bit more concentration than normal - but I'm glad I went because we started a new chapter and new grammer points. And I now have to make-up a test at some point. Don't know when that will be.

Well, that's the last two weeks. Guess it was a bit longer than I expected. Enjoy the pictures below and until next time :)


All the delicious food


Some decor



Some Centerpieces


No comments:

Post a Comment